In a conversation I had today with one of my agents, I was asked why would someone list their home FSBO (For Sale By Owner)?
This was my response…
Nationally, the average FSBO gets 29% less for their comparable property than a home listed by a Realtor and make up for only 7% of all recorded sales nationally. In a report published by the National Association of Realtors in February of 2009, the median selling price of an open market FSBO home was $150,100, while the median price for agent-assisted sales was $211,000, as most home owners are unaware of how to properly price the property based upon current market conditions.
FSBO’s tend to have a longer time frame on the market due to…
· less exposure due to no MLS publicity
· limited website distribution
· limited market research to advertise to potential buyers
· no word of mouth advertising between Realtors
· owners miss out on the vast exposure through media outlets Realtors have access to through social media marketing, blogs, etc.
· limited availability of showings and feedback due to no lockbox
· limited or no access to forms
· purchasers want to negotiate more because of no Realtor involvement
· owners are not aware of the showing, prequalification and settlement process
Pitfalls to avoid…
· HOA guidelines, rules and regulations
· Pre-qualifying or approving potential buyers
· Reputation of other parties involved – other Realtor (if applicable), lender or loan broker, title company
· Price or points – what’s better?
· Appraisal (meeting, providing comps, discussing market trends, etc.)
· Home inspection rules and regulations
· Time frames and hurdles to jump over to get to closing and what happens if they are missed
· Who orders what? When?
In the long run, it pays to hire a professional, full-time Realtor to help guide you to a successful sale and settlement. Call us today – Results Realty Group – (703) 652-5777.