It’s the beginning of the year and agents are asking what they need to do to be successful this year in real estate. As I thought this through, I came up with a few areas that I believe agents need to “pay attention to” sooner rather than later to be successful in real estate. Here is the list of urgent and important items, urgent items, important items and lastly, to do items that I came up with for success this year and beyond.
Urgent and important
- Get you database together – sort and qualify them. Assemble their name, address, email address and phone number.
- Call them, stop by and see them with a “leave behind item of value”, communicate with them regularly to strengthen your relationships with them and to develop your base of business.
- Add people to your database daily – grow who you know and also, those who know you
- Develop a daily game plan of who you are going to reach out to and why. Do this the evening before or the morning before you start your day.
- Create a daily schedule with strategic blocks (1-2 hours), buffer blocks (3-5 hours) and break out blocks (1-2 hours) built in and stick to it for success.
- Have a business plan complete with goals, objectives to meet these goals, and action plans to carry you over the goal line.
- Hire a coach/mentor to keep you on track – meet with them weekly to review your goals/business plan. Your broker or manager is always a good start as they are invested in your success.
- Get an accountability partner to hold your feet to the fire complete with rewards as well as consequences for your actions.
- Learn the business – read publications, attend industry events at your office, Real Estate Exchanges, Quarterly meetings, association and at the franchise level.
- Learn the inventory – see 5 houses every day including new homes. Attend Broker Opens.
- Meet with others in the industry – lenders, title, builders to gain insight into their areas of the business and what is happening with them.
- Start a blog and write consistently.
- Do videos and post to your blog, website, and social media channels to gain exposure and recognition as an expert.
- Plan to host at least one client event this year.
- Have a daily to-do list. Work on hardest things first as they are typically the most critical.
- Develop a routine and stick with it. Always start with prospecting as it is the key to success.
- Maintain a calendar with events and goals for the day and week.
- Work on your negotiation skills through role playing.
- Be present – stay off cell phone during your “block” times, focus on the other person, be an active listener.
- Utilize systems and process to ensure your success for marketing yourself, working with buyers and sellers.
- Set up a networking group to grow your business.
- Create and develop your brand – who you are, what you deliver and what you stand for in the business.
- Read inspirational and motivational articles, books, etc. each morning to get you in the right frame of mind daily.
- Continuously educate yourself personally and professionally. Set a goal to read a book a month or even a book a week or to attain a designation.
- Eat healthy and exercise regularly.
- Invest wisely in yourself and in your business – check with your coach, mentor or trusted advisor before any major expenditures.
- Celebrate your successes, including the small ones as they all count!
- Consistently work on communication skills.
- Create a vision board of your goals, dreams and desires.
- Have a good balance between work and life.
As you progress in your career or if you are looking to jump start your career be sure to add these items to guide you to success. Obviously there are other areas which you need to develop but these will most definitely help you. If you are interested in more information or would like to schedule a time to meet, please feel free to call me.
Now, go sell something!